Thursday, December 20, 2007

This could have been Acer's story

Last week, while cruising waiting child picture lists, I discovered a little boy, almost exactly a year younger than Acer and born without any eyes at all. He caught my attention, his cute face and situation so much like Acer's, and I watched his photo, hoping someone would open their heart for this boy. I wanted to bring him to people's attention and say good things about Acer in the hopes that he would be the joy of some family's life. Then, yesterday, the day before his second birthday, he died. The agency doesn't know why.

It makes me feel so sad that he died never knowing people to call Mama & Baba, and it makes me feel so blessed to have the little man. He could have stayed in China and lived under the care of the orphanage, he had a good foster family who loved him. His future would have been so limited though; at one point before we had him in our arms I wondered if we were doing the right thing by taking him away from this family who had fostered him for years. Then I saw a blind beggar, just sitting and rocking back and forth, God spoke to me through that sight and said "you would sentence him to a life like that" and so I knew it was the right thing to do, to bring him here and give him a chance at an unlimited future.

So today I mourn a little boy I never knew, who never knew a family.

2 comments:

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh Heather...that makes me so sad, too. Thank God Acer has you! You are wonderful and have such a kind heart. Acer's life is full of endless possibilities now because of you and Bill!
Love,
Monica

RamblingMother said...

I know, makes me ill. Didn't get a chance to grow up at all. And people say we didn't save them? No we didn't adopt to save a child but by the act it did save them. Their world's would have been so extremely different and challenging.

Beverly