Monday, November 12, 2007

6 Months, what a ride it's been.

Wow, it doesn't seem like it has been 6 months since we got our much yearned for and prayed about little guy handed to us. I still haven't seen the video of it yet (mainly 'cause we're not sure where it is) but the swell of emotion I felt still makes my eyes tear up. It was incredible.

Then we had the endless weeks of not being able to sleep. I think we had a little post-partum like depression going on because we were so tired, that derned reality reared it's ugly head. We still loved our little guy just as much, and we totally expected something of the sort. Expecting however it, is not living it.

We survived and now after 6 months of the little one sharing the bed with us for bonding purposes, we're ready to transition him, and us into our long term beds and bedrooms.
He is such a joy, even when his lower jaw is stuck out stubbornly and tears are in his eyes because he's been denied something when he was too tired or hungry to have another method to deal with it.

It was a long and stressful trip from the very first form we filled out until we arrived home from the airport. The thought that our futures were on sheets of paper that decisions were being made about by total strangers, well that wasn't an easy one for someone who likes to be in control. I would do it again in a heartbeat to get the little man.

November is National Adoption Month. I think we're going to be celebrating it truly for the first time ever. If you think it might be for you, drop me a line, I've been on both sides of the fence, as birth mother and adoptive mother.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! it has been 6 months already.... How wonderful for all of you.... I am always taking a peek to see what you guys are up to.... keep us up to date..
Hugs to you all!!1
Selina
LID for Leah 12/19/05
* * Almost there * *

Sharon said...

That was a great post, Heather. I love all the honesty. I am glad to know to expect that tired thing now. Thank you. Any other info?!?? I'm so glad you have each other. I'm not going to beleive it when it finally happens to me. And you say a time will come when I will want her out of my bed?? My husband is still thinking of not letting her in! meanie. But he will cave when he holds her, I know it.